Monday, May 28, 2012

'Idol' protest unnecessary, says Jessica Sanchez

For most Filipino-Americans in the United States, Jessica Sanchez should have become the clear winner of American Idol Season 11.




But with Phillip Phillips winning the crown, Fil-Am community group Migrant Heritage Commission protested, asking Fox TV to disclose "in the interest of transparency" the actual number Jessica got from the 132 million total votes.


But Jessica, who have since placing second happy with the results, said the protest was unnecessary. "I think Phil deserves to win, I think it was all fair. They wouldn’t ever cheat or anything like that. I think it was completely fair," said the 16-year old singer from Chula Vista, California.


"I worked hard and it got me to the Top 2 so I'm happy about that and I'm content with it," Jessica said in an interview by Elton Lugay of The FilAm. She added she is so thankful of the support from her fans and was eternally grateful for her Filipino-Mexican background. "I had a lot of support and it doesn't necessarily mean voting-wise, I just had support from my people, and I appreciate it so much."


Jessica is set to perform on Public Broadcasting Service's (PBS) National Memorial Day Concert to honor soldiers and veterans. Her dad, Gilbert, is part of the U.S. military.


Jessica will sing three songs -- the national anthem, "The Prayer" and "America, the Beautiful," (the finale song). Also set to perform are fellow Idol Chris Daughtry and Grammy-winning singer Natalie Cole.



[Photo]







Facebook Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus