A widespread power interruption hit Metro Manila and some parts of Luzon on Wednesday afternoon, May 8.
According to Manila Electric Co. (Meralco), the power outage was due to supply deficiency of 3,700 megawatts, more than its regular peak supply of 5,800 megawatts or about 63.79 percent of the power supply out.
The power failure was caused by the emergency shutdown of five power plants:
- Santa Rita Natural Gas (1,000 MW capacity) in Batangas
- San Lorenzo Combined Cycle Gas (500 MW) in Batangas
- Ilijan Natural Gas (1,200 MW) in Batangas
- Quezon Power Coal (440 MW) in Quezon Province
- Sual 1 Coal (1,000 MW) in Pangasinan
The blackout also led to a halt operations in LRT Lines 1 and 2.
No timetable has been set to when the power will be restored.