Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Miriam Santiago has stage 4 lung cancer


Senator Miriam Santiago on Wednesday announced she has stage 4 lung cancer.

In a press briefing on Senate, the feisty yet funny lawmaker was teary-eyed when she announced she was diagnosed with cancer, but even joked about her condition.

"I think you're expecting I would announce I am the only senator who out of boredom developed a relationship with a toyboy but that is not the case. The distinction lies somewhere else. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce myself to you as the only senator who has been diagnosed with lung cancer as of last week," she said.

The 69-year-old senator said she has cancer on her left lung, but said it was not spreading.

"I don't know what the reactions of my enemies are. Maybe they will be happy because on one hand I might die and then they could get rid of me. But on the other hand I might survive and then I will get rid of them," she added.

Santiago said she expects to be cured within 6 weeks through receiving treatment by taking "magic tablet" once a day.

"In my case they are very, very well behaved. I believe I've been disciplined all my life. Even my cancer cells are showing excellent discipline," she claimed.

If Santiago is not fully recovered after six weeks, then she will fly to the United States for treatment.

Aside from cancer, Santiago has also been undergoing chronic fatigue syndrome, reason for her to become frequently absent from Senate.

Last month, Santiago stepped down as judge of the International Criminal Court, citing her health condition.

[Photo: Romeo Bugante/Senate PRIB via Rappler]







Facebook Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus