Saturday, February 21, 2015

It's official: Pacquiao-Mayweather match on May 2


Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will finally fight in a welterweight showdown on May 2, 2015. The pound-for-pound greats will face off at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Mayweather made the announcement via social media platform Shots, of which he is an investor.

"What the world has been waiting for has arrived. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015, is a done deal. I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don't miss it! This is the signed contract from both fighters," Mayweather said.


"I am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done," he added. "Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus. This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport."

Pacquiao and Mayweather met at a Miami Heat game last January 27 and a private discussion followed.

"This is the right fight for boxing," Pacquiao said in a statement. "Floyd Mayweather and I is the fight boxing fans have wanted for years and I am looking forward to it. I will be representing my fans and my country and trying to bring glory to the Philippines."

Pacquiao earlier, on his Instagram account, posted a photo of a portion of contract he signed. The copy however, did not have Mayweather's signature yet.



Mayweather meanwhile is confident Pacquiao can't spoil his clean 47-0 win-loss record.

"I am the best ever, TBE, and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win," the American boxer said in a statement.

"Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do but he won’t be successful. He will be number 48," he added.

[Above photo: Bleacher Report]







Facebook Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus