President Rodrigo Duterte delivered his first State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 25, 2016, Monday at the Batasang Pambansa.
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar earlier said Duterte's SONA speech will be "powerful" and "will awaken the patriot in every Filipino."
"It's nothing like any of the SONA speeches that we've heard before. This one will ask the nation, every citizen to march on and build the country. That's how it's like," Andanar said in a phone call by Inquirer.
"I don't want to exaggerate. But the first time I read the speech, it made me cry. That's how beautiful and heart-wrenching the President's speech is," he said.
Duterte, who wrote the speech himself, delivered his message to the Filipino people for about an hour and 33 minutes.
The traditional red carpet fashion show no longer happened "in order to downplay the display of opulence criticized as insensitive and immoral by the public."
Organizers asked those attending the SONA to wear business attire. Female guests would be prohibited from wearing gowns and other long dresses.
SONA 2016 Replay Video
Here's the full video of Duterte's #SONA2016 courtesy of Rappler.
SONA 2016 Reaction Paper
We have written a sample reaction paper if you want to use it as a reference. Remember not to copy the post entirely, use it only as a guide in doing your own.
SONA 2016 highlights
Senator Koko Pimentel is the new Senate President. Former Senate President Franklin Drilon is the new Senate President Pro-tempore while Senator Tito Sotto III is the Majority Floor Leader.
Davao del Norte 1st District Representative Pantaleon Alvarez is the new House Speaker.
Freddie Aguilar is playing music in the background of the SONA 2016 video.
Award-winning Brillante Mendoza directed Duterte's first SONA.
Bayang Barrios led the singing of the Philippine National Anthem.
A ecumenical prayer was conducted before Duterte delivered his speech.
Duterte began his speech.
Highlights and Major Points
- Fingerpointing is not the way. Duterte said he will not waste his precious time dwelling on the sins of the past.
- Those who betray the people's trust will be punished and they will have their day in court
- Duterte said he will wage war on those who make mockery of our laws.
- "Courage knows no limits."
- "We cannot move forward if we allow the past to pull us back."
- There should never be a separation between the Church and state.
- Duterte vows to double, triple if need be, the efforts until the last drug lord, the last financer, and the last pusher have surrendered or put behind bars or below the ground.
- Duterte warned law enforcers: "Abuse your authority and there will be hell to pay, for you will have become worse than criminality itself."
- Duterte ordered DILG to strictly monitor how LGUs perform their supervision functions over the police.
- The AFP will facilitate the use of military camps for drug rehabilitation.
- "Human rights must work to uplift human dignity, but human rights cannot be used as an excuse to destroy our country."
- Duterte aims to strengthen ties with Indonesia and Malaysia to suppress kidnappings in our neighboring waters.
- Duterte strongly affirms and respects the outcome before the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruling on the West Philippine Sea dispute.
- Duterte says "all of us want peace. Not the peace of the dead, but the peace of the living."
- He asks our Muslim brothers to end the centuries of distrust. "To the CPP-NPA-NDF, let us end these decades of skirmishes. We are going nowhere... getting bloodier by the day." He announced a unilateral ceasefire with the CPP-NPA-NDF immediately.
- "If we cannot as yet love one another, then in God's name, let us not hate each other too much."
- Duterte pursues lower personal and corporate income taxes.
- He also promised more jobs and a stronger economy.
- Duterte calls for the full implementation of the Reproductive Health (RH) Law.
- Duterte wants to conduct soil analysis and enforce fisheries laws.
- He wants to build access roads to service centers, improve roads and bridges, and put up new pumping stations in strategic places.
- Duterte warns illegal vehicle owners.
- He assures his will be a clean government.
- Duterte promises that train tickets will soon be readily and easily accessible. He shall also pursue rail projects in Metro Manila.
- He wants a "one-stop shop" for OFWs.
- Duterte seeks to replace the state-run People's Television Network with a new People's Broadcasting Corporation (PBC). A Radyo ng Bayan will be integrated with PBC.
- Duterte's government does not condone violence and repression of media.
- He urges Congress to pass the Whistleblower Protection Law.
- Duterte warns mining companies that violate government standards.
- Pass BBL minus the "constitutional issues."
- Duterte wants passport validity extended from 5 to 10 years.
- Duterte urges public to report any wrongdoings. "The gates of Malacañang will be open... magsumbong ka."
- He wants more consular offices in strategic places.
- Free Wi-Fi access shall be provided at no charge in selected public places.
- There will be no demolition activities without relocations.
- Duterte's administration will protect women's rights.
- Thousands have been arrested for drug-related cases.
[Photo: Presidential Communications Operations Office News and Information Bureau]